Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Summer fun!

We already had a fun packed summer!  Disney World, camp, a trip to Gilmer, and a trip to the creek with friends.  But I wasn't going to let my diagnosis stop our summer fun.  The week after my diagnosis was VBS at our church.  The kids were entertained and busy while Mark and I spent the entire week at doctor appointments, having scans done, a port-a-catheter placed for chemo and my first round of chemo.  In between treatments, the kids and I found plenty of fun things to do to keep us busy the rest of the summer and my mind off cancer.


A friend of mine, Brandy Parker, worked with the 3rd grade boys and sent me some pictures of Cort over the week of VBS.  This really kept my spirits up since I wasn't able to help with VBS.  It was one of the things I was looking forward to doing since quitting my job.  

Cort on stage helping with music.


Cort on stage playing a game.

Preschoolers can only go to VBS if the parent volunteers.  Our church is awesome and still let Gage attend even though I couldn't help after all.  My friend Jennifer Brewer was his teacher and she also sent me pictures throughout the week.  Here is Gage the special agent.  Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of Keaton at VBS, but I know he had an awesome time with his friend Jaden.  It was their last year since they just completed 5th grade!!!
We spent a lot of the time at our neighborhood pool, but I didn't take any pictures.  I was too busy chasing Gage and swimming.  We enjoyed spending time by the pool with our friends the Schletts and Howards.  

A few times we made it to Nana's house to swim.  


Cort practicing his back stroke.


Cort doing a flip off daddy's shoulders.




Gage wanted a turn.....but no flips!  


Finally got Keaton to look and smile at the camera!  

Brothers having fun!



Keaton and Cort went to a basketball camp for a week at Jaden's church.  

It kept them busy, they learned more about a sport they haven't played much, gave them a lot of exercise and they had a Bible lesson each day too!

Gage at swim lessons.  

We spent so much time at the pool this summer, he was almost swimming by himself at only 4 years old.  Next year will be the year I'm pretty sure of it.  Keaton and Cort didn't swim by themselves until they were 6, but they didn't get as much practice as Gage either.  
Mark's brother, Adam, and his wife, Julie, offered to take the big boys for a week.  We scheduled it so they would be gone during my second chemo treatment.  I met Julie half way between Houston and Austin for lunch and to pass off the kids.  

They had so much fun in Austin with their cousins.  I am sure they will never forget it.
Aunt Julie spoiled them with a trip to the Big Top Candy Shop.  

The walked down Austin street to see all the painted murals.  It was a long walk, but worth it so they could take this picture for me.
They spent the day at Natural Bridge Caverns.

There was a lot to see on the Discovery Tour.

Cort, Ryan, Keaton, and Kayla

Keaton mining for gems and fossils.


Now they are all suited up for the Canopy Challenge.



They visited the capital too!

And of course spent some time at the pool.

And if they couldn't have any more fun, they went to a Round Rock Express baseball game.


A great trip with their cousins and many memories made!

Nana and PawPaw got to spend some time with Gage while the big boys were in Austin.  Gage loves the splash pad.

Over the summer, we spent almost as much time at the library as we did the pool.  I love all the programs they have for kids.  We got to see a reptile show, went to several craft times and drawing with number times, and a science experiment show.  This is Gage holding a corn snake.

Gage touching a turtle.

Holding a turtle shell.



Time for science.

We loved seeing all the dry ice experiments. 
He made elephant toothpaste and gave us the recipe to try at home.

And we got to see a volcano erupt.  Ok, it was just the mentos and coke experiment.

Did I mention we like free things?  We spent a lot of time at the pool, library, and bowling!!  That's right,  kids bowl free all summer long.  (Register your kids at www.kidsbowlfree.com)  

It's in the AC, it's fun, and it's exercise.  


Gage loved it and several times even beat his brothers' scores.


I had a blast spending the summer with this bunch!!!

No comments: