Monday, March 15, 2010

Rodeo

The rodeo is such a big part of Houston. I have lived here 14 years and I have only gone to the rodeo 1 year. That 1 year, pre-kids, we made it to 2 concerts, Kenny Rogers and Brooks & Dunns, in addition to going to the cook off. I think the boys would really enjoy seeing the rodeo up close, but we are not going to make it again this year. Crowds and walking are not on my agenda when 36 weeks pregnant.

But as far as the kids are concerned, they love rodeo time and have a blast celebrating. We have rodeo day at church. I think my kids this it is the actual rodeo. They got to ride a pony, go for a hayride, bounce, and see the goats and rabbits in the petting zoo. There is also a mechanical bull, but the line was just way too long to wait our turn. They have sausage on a stick and turkey legs, the whole deal!

In addition to the church rodeo celebration, Cort and Keaton also have rodeo days at school. They gear up with boots and hats. I think Cort dressed up 3 times. Nana came to read at both their schools with special rodeo books. She even brought the cattle prodder to show the kids. Cort also had a special rodeo day at daycare, but he said it wasn't as fun as the church rodeo since there were not any real animals. He only had a stick horse that he made and they played cute games.

Maybe next year we will load up and head down to the Livestock Show and let the boys experience the REAL Rodeo!!!

Cort loves going all out with his cowboy costume equipped with vest and chaps. Keaton's hat has been trampled on for a couple of years now. Next year I will have to get him a new one.

No comments: