My mom was cleaning out a closet and found some old letters I had written to her when I was away at college. She gave them to me when I was home for the Yamboree and I just sat down to read them last night. It was pretty humorous. I just rambled on about college life. From reading the letters you would think all I did was study. Several of them talked about how I was up till 2:00 and 3:00 preparing for a test. Funny how I don't remember studying that much, or that late. I know we used to go to the dorm study hall, but we usually ended up just playing around and talking. I would pack up for a long day or night of studying at the library, but then end up wandering around the library and going for snacks. After an hour of studying, I was pretty much done. I guess it really doesn't matter, I passed all my classes and graduated!
The letters talked a lot about Dee Dee, my BFF from college. We seemed to do everything together and we did. I miss her now, wish she lived closer!
I am surprised that I told my parents so much about boys in these letters. Talking about a date with this guy, being set up on a blind date with a different guy, old boyfriends from high school coming up to visit. It did seem I was a little boy crazy.
Most of the letters were dated before I met Mark. There were a few that talked about him though. I was writing about our plans to visit and that they would get to meet him for the first time. I said that the weekend was not long enough for them to really get to know him, but that he was a wonderful guy. I hoped they liked him as much as I did, because I think he will be around for a little while. Here we are 15 years later...
The letters also practically begged them to write me back. I do remember wanting to get letters from home. Remember, this is before cell phone (okay I had a bag phone), text messaging, and easy access to computers. I wanted good old fashion letters from home. My roommates and I would go to the post office almost daily to see if we received any mail. We started calling it the breezeway, because the only thing in our box....was a breeze!!!
Although I did mention care packages a lot. Mom would always have something for me to take back to college with me after a trip home. Or if Becky visited home, she would send something with her on her way back. I remember I loved hot apple cider and pumpkin bread which I mentioned in the letters. Speaking of pumpkin bread, it's almost Thanksgiving, and mom is bringing me some homemade pumpkin bread!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment