Friday, September 13, 2013

2013 Swim lessons


Let's just call it a Roberson tradition......summer swim lessons at the YMCA!



This was Gage's first time.  I waited until he was old enough to be in the preschool class same as I did with Keaton.  I think I took a mommy and me baby class with Cort, but quickly discovered that was a waste of money. 

So far so good.  I had told Gage to listen to his teacher and follow instructions.  I knew from experience I was going to be a nervous wreck on the side lines.  The preschool classes always make me so nervous!!! 

They have them all sitting on the side of the pool.  The lifeguards do a great job, but we are dealing with 3 year olds people!  Gage has no fear!!  I told him in advance he couldn't get in the water except with the teacher.  The very first class, the teacher jumped in the water and so did Gage right after her!!   During the first class he jumped, fell, slipped in three times!  And no, the kids don't have floats, and they can't touch.


After the first day, they break into smaller groups.  There was one teacher to 4 small kids in Gage's group.  While the teacher is with one kid, the others just hang on the wall.  This is enough to give me a heart attack every time his little hand came off the wall.  Of course, Gage was having a great time playing and putting his face in the water.
 

Boat day!!!  I like this day.  I can relax a little because he is wearing a life jacket. 
What a cutie!!!!
They put them in the boat and then dump them out in the water.   They teach the proper position to sit in the water with your life jacket and call for help.


Gage loved the big slide at the deep end.  He really did great and made a lot of progress with his swimming.  Keaton and Cort could swim unassisted by 5 years old, but Gage may be swimming next summer!  It helps to have two older brothers to follow.
Every summer since they turn 3 we take one session of swim lessons. So seven summers for Keaton and five for Cort. 

I realized this year what great swimmers Keaton and Cort are.  So good that they really don't need any further lessons.  They pretty much received private lessons this time because they were so far advanced from the other kids in their class.  They worked on technique a lot and the different swim strokes.  I was truly impressed with both of them.


I thought it would be easier if all three were in lessons at the same time, but because I was so intently watching Gage most of the time, I barely got to enjoy watching Keaton and Cort swim.

Next spring we are considering Swim team. 

No comments: