When we left Houston it was hot and we watched the temperature drop as we drove through the cold front. When we arrived in Gilmer (now I can't even say Gilmer in my head with out hearing Gilmerd) it was freezing. This could have something to do with why I didn't take any more pictures. I extremely dislike cold weather and even though the boys ventured outside some Friday and Saturday, Gage and I hunkered down inside where it was toasty warm.
We scheduled our big Thanksgiving feast for Friday, so after we arrived Thursday afternoon, we settled in, unpacked, and watched football. Keaton and I brushed up on our Monopoly skills. I hadn't played Monopoly in forever. Looking back, I don't think I played it correctly as a kid. Keaton loves games and he did great being the banker, counting the money and adding. I think the final outcome was Keaton took all my money when I landed on Park Place that he had a hotel on. Smart kid!
Friday we stuffed ourselves as you should on Thanksgiving although we gave the turkey a pardon and had ham. And then Gee, Cort and Keaton threw on their coats and headed outside. They played basketball in the carport, played on the backyard play set, and then headed to the pasture where she taught them to drive.....the golf cart that is. They took turns going round and round the pasture and around the shop driveway. They loved it and didn't care how cold it was. (Perfect photo opp---bad mommy for not taking any pictures.)
Friday night Mark, Keaton, Cort and Gee had fun putting together a 250 piece Bakugan puzzle at the kitchen table while Gage and I hung out. We missed Aunt Kerrie, Casey, and Uncle Scott, but Casey had to work and Kerrie spent Thanksgiving vacationing in Canada, oooh la-la.
Saturday morning, we headed home early but not before they took the golf cart out for one more spin.....or two. The frost was still on the grass and their noses and hands were red and frozen when they returned.
The trip back to Houston was uneventful until we had an unexpected run in while in Navasota. We took a different route to Houston since we were headed straight to the ranch for Thanksgiving with Mark's family. We stopped for gas in Navasota and cannot believe who pulled up next to us. Rebecca Barham Gay and her brand new little Ansley. Becky is my childhood friend. We grew up on the same county road, went to school and church together, went off to college together, were each other's bridesmaids, etc. Unfortunately, as it often happens, we have not seen each other in 6 years. We were supposed to visit them the weekend before Thanksgiving to meet little Ansley, but our plans fell through when my company called a workday that Saturday. Needless to say our astonishment when I watched the car pull up next to us and saw her get out to pump gas. Unfortunately, Brad was working but we did get to see little Ansley, their first daughter. I am so ecstatic for Becky and Brad as they have been through a lot the last 6 years. Brad received a liver transplant from a living donor, and has made a full recovery.
Then on to the ranch we headed. Even though we missed the meal, we were able to visit with Mark's brother's family, Mark's aunt and uncle and cousins both from the Austin area. In addition to spending some time with Mark's parents, 93 year old grandparents and extended family members from out of state. I am glad we made the trip back early as Mark's grandmother is now in the hospital and appears to have a lengthy stay ahead of her to recover from an infection and blood clot in her legs.
What is a trip to the ranch without a play in the hay. We can thank Mark for snapping some pics
Here are just a few things I am thankful for this year:
1. My wonderful husband and beautiful sons.
2. Our health and I don't take this lightly. I am so grateful that we are all healthy and thriving.
3. Our jobs. Yes, I am thankful that I have a job even though my heart's desire is to be at home.
4. Our home. It may not be brand new, decorated like a picture in a magazine, (or clean much), but it is filled with love, happiness, laughter, activities, and warmth. It is the home that I brought all 3 of my children home from the hospital, where I spent 4 wonderful years being a stay at home mom, where the older 2 have learned to ride a bike in the cul-de-sac, and have started school. We have outgrown the space, but how will I ever leave these memories behind.
5. Keaton's new found salvation this year and the sacrifice our Saviour made for us.
No comments:
Post a Comment