Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fall Frenzy-Part 1

I thought it was time to give an update on Team Robo.

CORT
School is in full swing. I would not have expected Cort to have any problems with Kindergarten. He was used to being away from mom and dad during the day since he was in daycare. We talked Kindergarten up since he turned 5 and he was looking forward to going to big kid school like Keaton. The school year started off great, but we started noticing a pattern with Cort each morning. As it was time to get dressed and leave for school he started complaining his stomach hurt. The first time or two Mark gave him Pepto. He then came down with a case of Croup and missed 2 days of school. After returning to school the next week, he continued to complain of his stomach. He convinced us to keep him home another day. I thought he could still be feeling bad from the croup or maybe it had developed into something else. There was a lot of crying and complaining saying he did not want to go to school that Thursday morning. A few hours later at home with Nana and Gage, Cort was feeling fine and asking to go outside and play. Hmmmmmm. So our thoughts turned to maybe Cort was not adjusting to Kindergarten so well after all. We were beginning to think he was experiencing a nervous stomach.

This brings me to look back at a situation that occurred a few weeks earlier. The 4th week of school I went to have lunch with him. He was so excited and we had a great lunch together. When it was time for me to leave, he was stricken with panic and crying so hard he began to choke. (Those of you that know my kids know what's coming next) He let himself get so upset that he threw up as his class was leaving for the playground. I didn't cave and take him home, but walked him to the nurse's office and explained the situation. She cleaned him up and changed his clothes (into a Longhorn t-shirt no less!!!) and walked him to recess. I was pleased she called me a few minutes later to report he was doing fine. I told him I couldn't come back to have lunch with him if he was going to get upset. I told him to tell me when he was ready for me to come back and he said, 'I don't think you can. Maybe not all year or even 1st grade, but maybe when I am in second grade.' He finally said those words to me that Keaton said all the time in Kindergarten. 'I want to be home schooled.'

We are starting to see some progress in the mornings. Keaton is being a great big brother by helping him get to his class. His teacher assured me he is fine throughout the day. I think most of the anxiety came from a couple of mornings the first few weeks of school in which the drop off routine was disturbed and he actually got lost on the way to his class. He said one time he was in the hall crying and a teacher helped him.

At our parent teacher conference, we heard nothing but great things about Cort. Ms. Cleboski said Cort is a leader and helps keep the students at his table on task. He is above where he should be at this point in K and she has no worries about him academically. She said she noticed he needs a lot of praise and can be sensitive. She commented that he is a rambunctious little boy and has to remind him some times to settle. I also remember when I visited him for lunch she told me he already had so many friends. Everyone loves Cort. At curriculum night, a couple of moms walked up to me and asked if I was Cort's mom and told me their daughters talked about him all the time. I guess he has a few girlfriends too.

We are so proud of Cort and his effort in K. He is doing great already learning sight words and sounding out words. We are also proud of his behavior. He has only received one note home on his daily folder. I hope to report soon that the morning anxiety is no more and that I can have lunch again with him very soon.

I will update in parts. I didn't realize it would end up this long. Update on Gage, daycare, and RSV coming soon.

No comments: