Well, a lot has happened since my last post December 31. I just haven't had the energy to put anything into words for a post. But I'll try.
First, the good news, I went for my Glucose screening 1/6 and I do NOT have Gestational Diabetes. I am very excited about this news, although thought if I was diabetic, it might explain the other issues going on. I am, however, anemic and started taking iron supplements this week. This doesn't surprise me, I was also anemic when pregnant with Keaton.
I mentioned before I was having episodes of flashing lights in my eyes. I have already seen an eye doctor and chalked it all up to be 'optic migraines' as she said. The problem.....they keep happening and closer and closer together. I have had a total of 7 episodes, including 3 last week and 2 so far this week. After once again discussing with my OB, she did suggest I go ahead and see a neurologists. I met with Dr. Washburn at Northwest Neurology on Monday. I passed the physical neurological exam she did on Monday and then returned on Tuesday for an EEG. The EEG also was clear. For the most past we can rule out anything as serious as brain tumor. She said she has never had a patient with a brain mass pass the physical exam or EEG. Although she has recommended that I go ahead and have a CAT scan.
Her thoughts are that it is most likely the optic migraines, which she calls Migraine Aura. It can also be called ocular migraines, eye migraines, or silent migraines because it presents itself with just the light show and no headache. In definition, a migraine is not a headache, the headache part is actually just a symptom of the migraine. A migraine is a neurological disorder, or a spasm of the blood vessels that supply different parts of the brain.
Her other worries are that it could be partial, simple seizures, small seizures in a specific part of the brain, or Optic Neuritis, which could be an early sign of MS.
So a lot to process. Do I go with the diagnosis that it is just Migraine Auras and hope that they are being caused by the changes my body is going through in relation to the pregnancy. Wait for delivery and see if they stop? Or do I take the next step and go for the CAT Scan.
I have tried several self concocted theories of what could be causing these episodes. The first my contacts. Maybe my eyes were rejecting my contacts due to pressure changes going on in my eyes. I know that your eyes can change during pregnancy. Even experienced a prescription change during my pregnancy with Keaton. But this theory was thrown out the window after I had been wearing my glasses for over a week (and I hate wearing my glasses!!) and still had an episode.
I then moved on to my next theory that it was because I was anemic and my body needed more iron. I began the iron supplements on Tuesday and was episode free Tuesday and Wednesday, but had an episode this morning. So that theory is out the window.
I also thought maybe it was triggered by a dip in my glycemic index. Most of the episodes do happen in the morning. So I have begun eating breakfast as soon as I wake up instead of waiting until I am ready for work. It doesn't seem to be having an effect since again, I had one this morning.
I wish I just knew what caused it. Is it simply the increased blood circulation in my body or the increased hormone level???
I plan to just observe the next few days and make a decision about the scan next week. I think it is safe to have it done being pregnant, mainly the decision lies in do I want to pay for something that might not give me any answers. I know that it would relieve some fears again by ruling out anything major.
It brings me back to when Keaton's pediatrician suggested we have an ECHO and EKG done on him when he was 9 months old. (Remember this was just a few months after he sent me to a neurologists for his head shape) We had to go to TCH and they had to put him under for the procedure. I just knew nothing was wrong and we were going through the motions, but found out that he did in fact have a small heart defect.
I see Imtiaz again Jan 20 and have another ultrasound Jan 26. In the meantime, I think I deserve some Tiramisu---my new craving.
No comments:
Post a Comment