Cort will be 4! I can't believe how fast it has gone by. Four years ago, I was on bedrest, pregnant with Cort. I was diagnosed early in the pregnancy with Placenta Previa.
I have heard other people talk about how miserable they were on bedrest, but honestly I enjoyed it. Maybe I was just making the best of the situation or maybe my body really needed the rest. I watched TV, slept, scrapbooked, and read.....Oh to be able to read a book again. Already having a young child, I knew finding time to sit and read was impossible. So while on bedrest, I read as many books as I could. I started the Left Behind Series and was able to read about 6 of the books during the 4 weeks I was on bedrest. (I currently am reading the 12th book in the series. I say currently, but I have been reading this one probably over a year now.)Anyway, I enjoyed the time on bedrest to catch up on some reading.
The hard part of being on bedrest was not being able to play with or care for Keaton. He was only 19 months old at the time and didn't want to sit and play with Mommy on the bed but just a few minutes at a time. I was home alone during the day because Mark took Keaton to daycare. There was no way I could have taken care of him at home. The hard part for Mark...working a full time job, taking care of Keaton, taking care of a bed ridden wife, and worrying about his unborn child.
During these 4 weeks, I was admitted to the hospital 4 times. My doctor gave me a choice the third time to go home or stay in the hospital until the baby was born. I wanted to go home because I knew it would be even harder on Mark to bring Keaton by the hospital every day to see me. But after my fourth episode and admittance to the hospital, I knew I was there to stay. I still had 6 weeks to go (my due date was March 6), but the next day the baby's heart blipped on the monitor and I was scheduled for a c-section that afternoon.
Cort was born January 28, 2005 at 6:03 PM. He was 6 weeks premature and weighed 5 lbs 9 oz.
I have heard other people talk about how miserable they were on bedrest, but honestly I enjoyed it. Maybe I was just making the best of the situation or maybe my body really needed the rest. I watched TV, slept, scrapbooked, and read.....Oh to be able to read a book again. Already having a young child, I knew finding time to sit and read was impossible. So while on bedrest, I read as many books as I could. I started the Left Behind Series and was able to read about 6 of the books during the 4 weeks I was on bedrest. (I currently am reading the 12th book in the series. I say currently, but I have been reading this one probably over a year now.)Anyway, I enjoyed the time on bedrest to catch up on some reading.
The hard part of being on bedrest was not being able to play with or care for Keaton. He was only 19 months old at the time and didn't want to sit and play with Mommy on the bed but just a few minutes at a time. I was home alone during the day because Mark took Keaton to daycare. There was no way I could have taken care of him at home. The hard part for Mark...working a full time job, taking care of Keaton, taking care of a bed ridden wife, and worrying about his unborn child.
During these 4 weeks, I was admitted to the hospital 4 times. My doctor gave me a choice the third time to go home or stay in the hospital until the baby was born. I wanted to go home because I knew it would be even harder on Mark to bring Keaton by the hospital every day to see me. But after my fourth episode and admittance to the hospital, I knew I was there to stay. I still had 6 weeks to go (my due date was March 6), but the next day the baby's heart blipped on the monitor and I was scheduled for a c-section that afternoon.
Cort was born January 28, 2005 at 6:03 PM. He was 6 weeks premature and weighed 5 lbs 9 oz.
I had already had the steroid shots to help his little lungs develop, but he screamed so loud when he was born that he blew a hole in his lung, he had a Pneumothorax. They had to put in a chest tube in addition to every other thing he was hooked up to.
2 1/2 hours after he was born
I finally got to hold him when he was two days old, but it was only for a few minutes.
Mark's first time to hold him was cut short. All the monitors started beeping.
This is a picture of him still on oxygen and the feeding tube in his mouth.

This is the day we took him home. He was 2 weeks old. I ended up back in the hospital two days later with a kidney stone that had to be removed.

2 comments:
So sweet...makes me teary eyed!!! Happy B-day Cort, we sure are glad he's a fighter!
Thanks for posting your story. It's nice to hear the good ones ...
I agree with you about bedrest so we might both be crazy. I spent two weeks in the hospital last time and while I hated not being able to really prepare for the baby, it sure was relaxing!
Post a Comment