Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ranch

I thought I had caught up on my blogs, but realized I never finished this post. Mark took the boys to the ranch for some 'guy fun' in January.
The tough guy lookKeaton, Kevin, Levi, Louis, Cort
One of the adventures this day was to find something gross....I mean cool. Keaton was the first to find a cow skull. Cort found this jaw bone. They packed up their findings and brought them home. Cort played around with one of the cow teeth until he could slide it out. He plans on taking it to show and tell one week. Oh how his teacher will love that. It truly is very gross even though Mark cleaned and sanitized it.
Down by the creek
they skipped some rocks
and sticks
followed Mark on an explore.
They jumped hay bales.
chewed straw
practiced spitting, ate sunflower seeds, and drank some cold root beer.
They continued their adventure by going in the spooky house.
And then posed on this tree stump.
Boom-Boom-Fire-Power
Mark hosted another annual bonfire in February at the ranch. This is the first time the 'ladies' were invited. Much to my hestitaion, I joined them just in time for chow. I brought 3 batches of homemade chili. I do not like to participate in the target practice and was really uncomfortable that guns were still being shot after my arrival.

To add to my nerves, then the bonfire was lit. It had been very dry and the fire immediately raged across the first pile. For a split second I was in panic flight mode, but it settled down nicely and burned for several hours. Even Mark was admittly nervous at first, but fireman JT said all was okay. The second pile was lit and it was time to sit back by the fire, enjoy the night sky, food, and friends. I have to say, all in all, it was a good time.

The ranch, which belongs to Mark's grandparents, is on the market to be sold. It will be a sad day when it does. The boys will miss their adventures and the 550 acres of pastures to roam free in. A developer/homebuilder is looking at buying it and will eventually become a new neighborhood. The area around it has already been developed into beautiful houses.

No comments: