Thursday, November 11, 2010

I am dating again

It has been said before, but there is just not enough time in the day. Especially for a working mom. I would like to think I have my priorities in order. For example, housework can always wait. One day these boys will be grown and I will have a clean house then. Our family has had some changes with the new baby. I think Cort especially is feeling it with starting Kindergarten and not having all of mommy's attention. So I planned a special date for just Cort and me.

One thing we haven't done before, even as a family, is go to an ice cream parlor since Keaton is allergic to milk. Since it was just Cort and me, we headed to Kim's Creamery. Cort picked out a scoop of Orange Dream and a scoop of Sweet Cream with M&M's. I chose Cinnamon.

We spent this time talking. I just wanted to make Cort feel special and give him some alone time. A time that he doesn't have to compete for my attention. He is sooo sweet. He kept saying it wasn't fair to Keaton that he didn't get to come. He always wants Keaton to have exactly the same, even though Keaton wouldn't do that for Cort. (1st child syndrome, maybe?) The creamery also had a candy store. We picked out some Candy to take back for Keaton and Cort to share. So yes, they were loaded up on ice cream and candy!

Cort and I also ran an errand together. As we walked through the store he kept holding my hand. I think he really enjoyed this time.

So of course, it wouldn't be fair not to plan a date with Keaton also. The next Saturday, I planned for Keaton and I to go to IHOP for breakfast. Although when given the option he picked Dunkin Donuts. Keaton loves Dunkin Donuts because his favorites are the chocolate donut holes. We did pick out some donuts for Cort and brought back a half dozen. I,myself, enjoyed a delicious pumpkin muffin.




And sweet little Gage and I get dates all the time. We have our little lunch dates 2-3 times a week when I visit him at daycare. And we also have Wednesday nights. Mark is taking a class at church, How to Raise a Modern Day Knight. He takes the boys to dinner and drops them off at AWANA while Gage and I catch up at home. This is one of those moments I have to prioritize. I could spend the entire evening doing laundry, straightening the house, cooking dinner for the next night, or a million other things, but I sit and play with little man. Even though he loves his mommy time, he looks around the house missing the chaos. He is very excited to see everybody return home at 8:15.
Yes, Mark has to share me with 3 other men and he would say they probably win the majority of my attention. But that is how kids spell love, T-I-M-E. Which brings me to my next topic. For the study Mark is reading, he has homework each week. One week he had to ask the boys for feedback on how he is doing as a dad. I found this exercise interesting so asked a few questions myself when I had them alone.

Me: Am I a good mommy?
Keaton: Yes
Cort: Yes
Me: Is there anything I do that you don't like?
Keaton: I don't like it when you yell sometimes.
Me: Oh. Anything else?
Keaton: You don't get to spend a lot of time with us because you work and are always busy doing things.
Me: Oh, we will have to work on that.
Me: Cort, what about you?
Cort: You don't always take us to the park when we ask.
Me: Yeah, we will have to go to the park more, how about this weekend.
Me: So on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best, how good of a mommy am I?
Keaton: 10! Although, sometimes you are an 8.
Cort: 10! No, 100.......actually infinity and beyond!
Me: Thanks guys!


So even though I make efforts, there is just never enough time for them. The book I started reading while on maternity leave, Boys Should Be Boys, says just that. The only thing they need more of is you, mom and dad.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Great post. Thanks for the reminder to spend more time just playing and hanging out.