Thursday, November 17, 2011

Yamboree 2011

We visited my hometown during THE YAMBOREE again this year for two reasons.  One, because the Yamboree is just dang fun and two it was the first time I got to meet my niece, Aria.

We actually pulled the kids out of school for Friday and headed to Gilmer Thursday night.  That way we had all day Friday to spend on the square.

Mark and I on the square.  Don't you see the excitement!
Photographer: Keaton

First ride of the day-the Super Slide

And here comes Cort.  He was a little nervous once he got to the top.  I was already having flashbacks of last time.  You can read about the boys 1st trip to the Yamboree here.

And there she is....The Yamboree Queen 2011
Drew Henson-Hill
 (or better said as Queen Drew of the House of Henson-Hill)
I went to high school with her mom and dad.....ouch!

Have to have clowns!!
Friday is the school parade which is why the Queen above is only in a car.  For the Queen's parade on Saturday she will be in her dress on a float. 

I am not sure who this was, but had to take a picture of the red Ferrari.

High School Duchess, not sure which school-- Beauty and the Beast.

The Gilmer Buckeye High School Marching Band

And the Gilmer Drill Team Stars
(better know as the Buckettes or the ....well, never mind)

Dragon Roller Coaster
The all day wrist band cost $20 each so we only bought them for the kids, well at least that was our intentions.

Looks like fun!

So usually Keaton is the cautious one while Cort loves danger.  After discovering our kids are too big for most of the kiddee rides and even being told they couldn't ride one, we headed for the bigger rides.  Although Keaton was hesitant he rode this ride called the Genesis, but Cort refused.

While the ride was still loading, I think he was contemplating getting off.

He did it and loved it!  Rode it 4-5 times.  Even made a friend the first go round.  See the boy next to him in the orange shirt, Ryan joined us for most of the remaining afternoon.
We did get Cort on the swings.

I think he liked it.

Since we couldn't convince Cort to ride any of the bigger rides, I had no other option except to buy a wrist band and ride too!!!  He agreed he would ride if mommy did. 

Hamming it up for daddy.
But you know I loved riding the rides with my boys.  Took me back to my childhood days.  (And reminded me how much I hate the Ferris Wheel---not pictured since I was too busy trying to talk myself out of a panic attack.)



I think Mark was a little sad he didn't get to ride any rides.  Maybe next time dad!  We needed you to take pictures of us having fun!



So the last ride of the day was the Star Ship.  I knew it as Gravitron from my day.  Yeah, pretty much did me in and my head was spinning for several hours.  The kids rode it two times in a row, but mommy only could handle the one.

Mr. Gage hung out with Gee and baby Aria so the big kids could have some fun.  Here he is using his sign language to say baby.

The kids getting ready for bed.

Me hanging out with little Aria while Casey went to a high school reunion event.
On Saturday we went to the Yamboree grounds to see the Livestock.  Here is the Grand Champion Pig


Goat

and Dairy Heifer.

All the rabbits.

And the kids showing their cows. 

I thought this was funny, not having raised a cow of my own.  We were looking at the rabbits when this little girl in a pink shirt walked up with her cow on a leash and gave it some water to drink in a bucket.  She was brushing it and talking to it. 



Face Painting

Robot boy

Skull Eye

We looked at the participants and winners of the art show and Keaton loved this picture. 

We had a great time at the Yamboree and we loved meeting Aria.  The next time we go back for the sweet potato festival Gage will enjoy it more and get to ride some rides too!

No comments: