Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Getting Ready for Christmas

It is only 14 more days until Christmas!! And we are getting ready. As you know it SNOWED in Houston last week, December 4. It looked like it was coming down hard throughout the day, but it really didn't stick. Even though I left work early, by the time I picked up the boys and got home it was all gone. Keaton said he did get to play outside at school when it was snowing hard. I am sure he had a great time. Cort watched it through the window at daycare, but they didn't get to go outside because it was nap time. Seems like they could have rearranged the schedule a little for snow! But Mark took a few pictures of Dixie and Lady in our backyard enjoying it.

We woke up the next morning to very cold temperatures but still braved the trip to the Red Caboose Tree Farm with our small group. We had already decided we would not be cutting down a tree this year, but wanted to join in all the fun. Our neighbor that moved earlier in the year gave us a fake pre-lit tree. We were completely happy when we pulled it out of the box Friday night and put it together that it all worked and was quite beautiful. I actually like a fake tree more than the real trees we have had in the past.....especially since it was freeeeeee!

But on to the tree farm we went. I was hoping to see Santa in his workshop, but again this year he was a no show. I can't say it was the best trip since Keaton was in rare form. He spent most of the morning in time out or holding Mark's hand. Maybe it was the cold weather, but regardless, I was not happy with his behavior or choices. Here are all the kids on the hayride.

Taylor, Ella, Remi, Cameron, Levi, Cort, Spencer, Abi, Brewer's neighbor, Keaton, Austin, and Brewer's neighbor (I don't remember their names)
I had dressed the kids in matching black sweaters hoping to get a picture with Santa and be able to use it as our Christmas card. Since no Santa, I still took pictures of the boys with the trees surrounding them. They were a little excited and it was hard getting them to sit still and I became a little frustrated that they were not cooperating. I never claim to be a photographer, but was hoping for some cute pictures of my beautiful boys. The sun was shining bright, so the light was hard to deal with. Here's how they turned out.
Okay mommy, enough pictures already. So off to the train, a snack, and some Hot Cocoa.

The train takes them for a ride through the trees and back around the pond with ducks and swan. When the train came back into sight of the parents waiting it looked like Keaton's and Cort's cars were empty. Mark and I had heard a noise and even joked that it sounded like a kid fell out of the train. I would have started to panic except I could see the sun shining off of Cort's little head. They both had slid down into the barrel of their car and were hiding from us. Funny kids!

So, I wasn't satisfied with my pictures and was hoping to get a few more good shots. I dressed them up individually, put them on the stairs by the tree and here they are.

It seems easy for Cort to smile for the camera, he is such a ham. Mark helped make Keaton laugh so we could get a more natural smile and I think they turned out great. Now only if I can put them together and decide on a Christmas card....I mean it is already December 10!

This is the first year we have 2 Christmas trees in our house. I decided to make the main downstairs tree MINE this year. I love how it turned out! But I didn't want the kids to be without their tree. I bought an inexpensive tree from Walmart and the kids decorated it all by themselves. It has froot loop garland, which I thought would be a fun activity to distract them while I decorated my tree. Only Mark and I ended up stringing most of the froot loops. It has all of the ornaments they have made over the years and my favorite ones with pictures of them.

Our tree (please ignore the laundry on the couch behind it)
The upstairs tree Here are some close ups.

Can't wait to finish shopping and get the presents under the tree!

No comments: