Monday, September 28, 2009

12 weeks

I went to the doctor last week and heard the baby's heartbeat. It is always so exciting, I just wish I didn't have to wait another 4 weeks to hear it again. The doctor said I should expect to hear from the 'high risk' doctor within 5-10 days. I will need to set up an appointment for an ultrasound and blood work. I am considered high risk at this point only because of my age, 35.

My doctor told me at the first appointment, at 8 weeks, that I would have to have a cesarean again this time. Not 100% sure why, but something to do with the fact I had a cesarean at a pre-term date last time. It is okay with me, in fact I expected her to tell me that. I know women have VBACs all the time, but the thought of it did scare me some.

We discussed the flu and the risks associated with pregnancy. I have never had the flu shot before in my life. Even during my first two pregnancies I opted to not get the flu shot. This time I am planning on it. Not only the flu shot, but the swine flu vaccine as well. I feel I may be at higher exposure this time with a child in school/afterschool care and a child in daycare. Two people in my office have children who have already had the swine flu this year. The swine flu seems to be mild in most cases, but no so for the pregnant women my doctor advised. I just worry about the risk of the vaccine that is brand new and any long term side effects it may have.

I am anxious for the next ultrasound. I hope they will be able to give me some indication that I will not have placenta previa again this time. Then I will be able to breathe easier.

Twelve weeks, and I haven't gained any weight yet. That makes a girl feel good!

No comments: