Thursday, August 6, 2009

Summer Vacation

Well, we didn't make it to Sea World again this summer, but we still had a nice summer vacation at the creek. I have wanted to take the boys to Sea World the last two summers, but we keep coming up with reasons why we shouldn't spend the money. So 4 nights and 4 days at the creek was our other option and it was relaxing, fun, and relatively inexpensive. We invited some friends to join us, The Taylors and The Jones (others had out of the country plans...you know who you are).

We arrived at the creek Thursday evening, just our family. We relaxed, unpacked, and settled in for a long weekend. As I was putting the boys to bed, Mark came in, hollering at the front door. I didn't know if he was hurt or what, but this is what I found. Let's just say it started the weekend off right.

30" Red Fish caught from the dock

The next day The Taylors arrived and we headed out for dinner. We took the boat down to The Crab Trap and had a delicious meal overlooking the water.


Loading the boat for dinner

Shrimp boat along the way

Views of the creek

Keaton standing Co-Captain

Melinda and Ella enjoying the ride

THE CRAB TRAP RESTAURANT

Mark and I

BOAT HAIR


The kids having a GREAT time

The boat ride home......and this is where the pictures stop. As I boarded the boat, I dropped my camera and it did not survive. So I do not have any pictures of the remaining trip, but I am counting on my friends to share their pictures.

The Jones Family arrived after dinner and we all sat outside enjoying the peace of Creek Life. I think we finally put the kids to bed around 11:00 PM. Regardless, the men were up and leaving the dock around 7:00 (you didn't expect any earlier with Captain Robo, did you?) for a full day of fishing. The went 5-6 miles offshore and caught Sharks and King Fish. Jimmy's fish gave him a good fight, and an hour later they brought the 5-6 foot Shark up to the boat. The fishermen arrived back around 3:30 (2 1/2 hours after they said they would be back, but a fisherman's wife knows to always add a couple of hours. If the catching is good, they stay longer....if they are not catching anything, they stay longer....only bad weather may bring them in earlier) with the 2 King Fish they decided to keep.

Of course, the kids had swam all day and played games while the women relaxed and enjoyed talking and catching up with each other. Once the fish and men were cleaned, we had a wonderful snack of funnel cakes and waited for Robo Ribs. Mark prepared 3 racks of Baby Back Ribs that slow cooks for 2 hours on the grill, served with Au Gratin Potatoes, Roasted Corn on the Cob and Broccoli.

The next day, The Jones Family headed home, after some wonderful Fire Fighter Breakfast Tacos, to prepare for the next week. The Taylors joined us for a great trip to the beach. (I may update later with some pictures....hurry up Mel)

After a shower and a nap we watched the sunset from the dock while the kids fished and then the Taylors packed up and hit the road for home. We spent one last night and took our time going home that Monday, sad to return back to work Tuesday.

We had a great time and we hope our friends did also. A BIG thanks to Aunt Kerrie for dog sitting Dixie and Lady. I am sure they loved sleeping over with Asher.

1 comment:

The Brewers said...

So sad we missed it...although, I was able to relax while I read it! Next summer...