Thursday, October 30, 2008

DOCTOR UPDATES-PART 2

Keaton had an appointment this week with Dr. Altman at Texas Children's. She is Keaton's cardiologist. When Keaton was 9 months old he was diagnosed with a heart murmur caused by a Ventricle Septum Defect (VSD). Okay in English---he has a hole in his heart the size of a pin hole. The hole, as we have been told, should close on it own as he grows. We last saw Dr. Altman two years ago.

Keaton and I had a nice afternoon traveling to the Medical Center. Mark picked him up from school early and brought him to my office where we ate lunch together. It was a beautiful afternoon to skip out of school and work, even if it was for a doctor's appointment. I am just proud of myself for making it there without getting lost...(..okay Mark, so I did get lost on the way home, but I made it!)

The appointment is pretty routine. After a chest xray, she listens to his heart....the murmur is still there, swishing, she says. We are to return in four year for another visit just to continue monitoring it. Needless to say, he is a healthy, active child.

One new thing we did discuss is the importance of good oral hygene. All the bacteria in our mouth goes into our body. Since the hole in Keaton's heart allows blood to flow the wrong way, he is at greater risk of infection. So brushing his teeth is even more important....who would have thought, healthy mouth = healthy heart?


On another note:
I promise more pictures in the future. As my friend Stephanie Harsha said, "What's a good post without pictures". So here are a few to start off.
My parents and grandmother were here this past weekend. We went out to eat with my sister, Kerrie, and her boyfriend, Brett.


Cort, Aunt Kerrie, Keaton
Mom, Nonnie, Me, and Cort

2 comments:

Amy said...

Your boys are so good looking! Are they too old for Haley???

Steph said...

Lori,

It sounds like good news with both of Keaton's appts. That is great to hear!

I must say I blushed seeing my quote. LOL But, I'm lovin' the pictures. When you've got boys that handsome, you've gotta show them off!